Polish Pork Goulash

I wanted to adapt my usual recipe to make it more like goulash served in Poland.  The paprika we’ve bought here has been darker and spicier (not smoked) so that took care of part of it.  I also used pork, the most typical Polish protein, rather than beef.  As I’ve started doing lately with soups, etc., I browned all of the ingredients, not just the meat.  I think it adds to the flavor.  The final difference is that I served this goulash over potato pancakes; in the past, I’ve usually used noodles.
goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,goulash,
Ingredients
2 pounds. pork, trimmed and diced
3/4 cup flour
kosher salt
black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, cut into thin strips (I used red and yellow)
2 cloves garlic, minced
14 ounces. broth (I used veal reconstituted bullion cubes)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup dry red wine, optional
1/3 cups cold water
3 tablespoons. flour
potato pancakes, cooked according to directions
Directions
  • Dredge pork in flour that has been generously seasoned with salt and pepper.
  • In a large saucepan, brown pork cubes in hot oil.  (I did 2 or 3 separate batches.)
  • Remove pork and brown onions and peppers, add garlic just before they’re finished.  (After multiple batches of meat and then the veggies, there was a dark brown crust on the bottom of the pan.  Don’t worry, it will loosen and dissolve in the liquids you’re about to add – giving you a dark, flavorful broth.)
  • Return pork to the pan and add broth, tomato paste, paprika,  pepper, and wine.
  • Simmer covered 60 to 90 minutes.
  • In a small bowl, blend water and 3 tablespoons flour.  Add to meat mixture.
  • Simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Serve over potato pancakes.

Polish Pork Goulash Polish Pork Goulash Reviewed by roza matarazzo on 15:35:00 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire

Travel everywhere!